Founded in January 1964, under a Royal Charter granted by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Chiang Mai University (CMU) was established as the first institution of higher education in Northern Thailand, and as the first provincial university in our kingdom. Ever since its founding, CMU is focused on comprehensive institution of higher learning while providing a broad range of academic programs. In the field of research, CMU has been launching innovative initiatives and development projects, the results of which are utilized to further advance the standards of teaching, learning and technology transfer, supporting the social and economic development of the region and the country as a whole.
More recently we have been very proud to celebrate CMU’s 50th Anniversary and during it’s short but remarkable history, CMU has earned a reputation as a veritable institution maintaining high academic standards. CMU is also an established member of the ASEAN University Network, paving its way forward to be an important Education Hub in the region. Locally CMU is acknowledged as the pre-eminent center for study in the Northern Thailand and nationally recognized as one of the top four universities and one of the nine “National Research Universities”. It is also worth noting that CMU is ranked in the top 100 university’s in Asia at 92 by the by the “QS Asian Universities Ranking 2014”. These results demonstrate CMU’s academic and research strength, a necessary prerequisite for us to achieve our development goal of becoming a research-oriented “World Class University.”
As internationalization continues to be an essential factor in higher education development and in order to respond to the continuously growing domestic demand for international-level programs, CMU currently offers 6 international undergraduate degrees and 27 international postgraduate degree programs. Through constructive interaction with more than 200 partners worldwide, we seek to enhance both the quantity and quality of research and development projects conducted at CMU. The ever increasing number of our international students on campus reassures us that we are successfully working towards our goal of providing world-class education.
Chiang Mai University was founded in January 1964, under a Royal Charter granted by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
CMU was the first institution of higher education in the north, and the first provincial university in Thailand.
Chiang Mai University is a Leading University with Academic Excellence in International Standards, focusing to become a research-oriented institution of higher education and producing graduates with high moral and ethical standards, equipped to practice good governance under the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy and Sustainable Development.
Five-fold Mission addresses the challenges our nation faces amidst a globalizing world.
- Provide higher education and high level professional education emphasizing academic excellence and quality of graduates with high moral and ethical standards under the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy.
- Conduct research in various fields to support standards of teaching, learning and technology transfer for the social and economic development of the region and the country.
- Provide academic services to the national community in line with the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy, particularly for Northern Thailand.
- Preserve and nurture our religious and cultural heritage, and develop the resources of the unique natural environment of Northern Thailand.
- Develop the Universitys administration systems and management under the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy while aiming at Sustainable Development.